Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Poor Butterfly

The attached score was written in May, 1963. It was my first for this setting, i.e., jazz band w/strings, woodwinds and harp. The strings were voiced like horns, as my Berklee training did not include string writing (I enlisted in the Air Force after 2-1/2 years of school - they may have covered it later). And, I had never written for a harp before - this arrangement has a minimalist scoring for harp. Also, almost all of our school work for rhythm section was, "Give the piano and bass players the chords and let the drummer know how many measures there are in the song. They'll fill in the parts for you." So, you'll see that there is nothing in the piano part except places where there are chord symbols. Obviously, for Notation Composer's purposes, I had to write the bass and drum parts. I think I do fairly well on the bass lines, as they are another kind of melody, but my drum parts are learn as I go. Note that the bass part does transpose up one octave for printing the part.

There are separate staves for Flutes 3 & 4; four clarinets; and bass clarinet. These were actually doubles by the saxophone players, as I had the luxury of having altos and tenors who doubled on both flute and clarinet and a bari who doubled on bass clarinet. Sherry tells me that future versions of Notation Composer may incorporate instrument change within one staff, which will make this kind of scoring cleaner.

I entered this old score into Notation Composer as an exercise to refresh my memory on how I used to score, in an effort to get back up to speed with my writing. This was one of my four early pieces that either were never recorded or library personnel couldn't find a copy. So, after forty+ years, this was going to be the only way I could hear it. The format is one of the three primary formats I wrote for -- the other two being the 16-piece jazz band and my own working septet. I was hesitant about posting this one in Share Your Music, as there are places that I feel I've overwritten (too notey) some of the background lines. But, there are other places that I'm quite pleased with, so I decided to put it on out there, in the hope that some of you may get some benefit out of seeing the innards. Much of my past development, as well as future development, has/will come from looking at other people's music -- not as a source of plagiarism, but as a learning tool. So, if there is some benefit to you here, please enjoy. Hopefully you have a good midi instrument to export this to for sampling.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Poor Butterfly.not (357.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 03-30-2010 at 06:04 PM.