Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share news about music

Share news about music Do you have some news about music that you'd like to share with others? Here's the place.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy friends, It is with a

Howdy friends,

It is with a great sense of loss that I pass along the news that Fred Winterling passed away Jan. 28, 2008. I only received a very brief email regarding Fred's passing, but as soon as I have more information, I will post it here.

Fred was a beloved and active member of our forum, until health problems late last year reduced his ability to participate. He has written many musical pieces, which can be found in various places in our Share Your Music section.

Grace, like rain, on his family at this time,
Sherry
Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello to Fred's friends,

Hello to Fred's friends,

This said news hit Sherry and me pretty hard, as Fred has been one of the most sharing individuals in our virtual community. He has always brought cheer to us, encouraging other musicians, helping Sherry and me with the software, and sharing much music he has written.

If you have been a friend of Fred and feel sadness over his passing away, you might find some console, as Sherry told me she has, and as I'm doing now, by listening to some of Fred's peppy tunes at www.soundclick.com.

We'll miss you, Fred. But we can continue enjoy your presence when you cross our minds, by listening to your music, and as we sometimes come across some of your 600 posts in this forum.

Sincerely,
Mark
Old 02-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default To the Community, I have lo

To the Community,

I have lost a friend, whom I have never met in person.

Just over a year ago Fred wrote:

“You know what we've got to do? We need to have a big party at Mark's house (being from Baltimore, I'll bring the crabcakes) so we could all meet each other personally and have a real blast. When Mark announces he has become a millionaire, we could get him to pay for all the plane tickets!”

I wrote back:

“Your idea of a party at Mark’s place is excellent. Please put me down on the invitation list and for free plane tickets for two.”

This was said in a light hearted way. Yet I always thought that, one day, I might meet Fred in person.

My sincere expression of sympathy to all loved ones and friends of Fred.

Herbert Wende
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 AM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default His presence will be missed.

His presence will be missed. As Herbert said "a friend I never met."

David
Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Daniel Vallery (danielv)

Default Very, very sad news... I'l

Very, very sad news... I'll miss him a lot. God rest his soul,

R.I.P. Fred, it's a great loss to us all.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Daniel, One of the things I

Daniel,

One of the things I remember best about Fred is how many times he personally encouraged you to create music.

-- Mark
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Here's a picture of Fred,

Here's a picture of Fred, that he posted at soundclick.com:

-- Mark
Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy folks, No other news

Howdy folks,

No other news yet. However, I have been doing a bit of reminiscing.

When Fred first hit the forum, I really had no clue who this guy was, except that he was enthusiastic about music, warm, self-effacing, and had this tune he'd written years ago when he was a teen that he called "Saxophone Rock". Like the fool walking in where angels fear to tread, I jumped on the offer he made of having someone collaborate with him in bringing this tune to life. Had I known at that point what a real musician Fred was, and what his background was (professional for many years, played with some big names, and was a name in his own right) I wouldn't have made so bold. But Fred made the joint project a lot of fun, and never ever gave me any grief about what I did to his song Some time later, when it slowly came out by degrees just what his "pedigree" was, I nearly flipped.

We exchanged some help with a couple of our own projects, me helping him some with mixing a project of some songs he recorded, and he helping me with a CD of parlor piano music that I worked up for my aunts and uncles. I remember him telling me that one day as he was working on a song for my aunts/uncles project (I had sent him a photocopy of a score that was too bad to scan, and he was recording it into Composer for me) his wife Patsy walked past the room, and told him that for a minute there, she thought his Mom had come back, because it sounded just like her

Fred was a kind fellow, and was always a great encouragement to me and to others here as well. Please feel free to share any stories that you have, and feel comfortable with posting. I think Fred would like that - he liked to tell tales

glr,
Sherry
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Lee Eschen (leeschen)

Default This is sad news indeed. I wil

This is sad news indeed. I will miss Fred's presence here, but am comforted that he is likely jammin' with the angels in some heavenly band and having a great time.

My deepest sympathies are with his family and I will remember them in my prayers.

Lee
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default This news stunned me. In tha

This news stunned me. In that state of not quite belief, without thinking, I began to play Fred's music, which he had put up on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=378173 and in the Forum, as well as to re-read and revel in many of his posts here. When it sank in that Fred would be posting no more, composing no more, nor be out on the golf course again, I wanted to say something that in some way might be a comfort to Patsy and their family. But having said that I am very, very sorry and know what you must be feeling, as true as that is, I know it could not alleviate the pain of your loss. I have discovered nothing that can do that. But oddly enough remembering can bring some comfort. Perhaps that is why my reaction to the sad news was to play Fred's music, to recall some of his stories, and to go over again memories we had in common of a time that was long gone when we remembered it in these pages. Hope, too, can be sustaining; that the end of the world as we know it is the beginning of another world as we would have it . . . certainly one with music and a tenor sax of which those here are only shadows. Enjoy the heck out of it, Fred, and that golf course, too, where you can play eighteen multiplied by infinity.

in sorrow,
mgj
Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole)

Default I'm saddened by Fred's

I'm saddened by Fred's passing. Like other perhaps now less regular members of this forum, I've continued to read his posts with interest, and happily taken suggestions and comments and used them, watching lately without responding much. perhaps we should all respond a little more to each other...

My real sympathy to Fred's family and his other near and dear on the boards.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy friends, I found an o

Howdy friends,

I found an on-line obituary for Fred at http://www.legacy.com/BaltimoreSun/D...onID=102230867.

There is also an online guestbook you can sign and leave a message for Patsy (Fred's wife) at http://www.legacy.com/baltimoresun/G...onID=102230867

The obituary from The Baltimore Sun reads:
WINTERLING , Frederick B.
On January 28, 2008, FREDERICK BERNARD WINTERLING beloved husband of Patsy Winterling; devoted father of Gina Franta, Michael, Thomas and Mark Winterling, Sr.; loving grandfather of Christa, Matthew, Brandon, Matthew, Brian, Mark and Tracy. Also survived by a sister, Geraldine Snyder.
Friends may call at the family owned Bruzdzinski Funeral Home, P.A., 1407 Old Eastern Avenue, Essex at Route 702 (beltway exit 36) on Wednesday from 3 to 5 and 7 to 9 P.M. Funeral service on Thursday at 11 A.M. Interment Holly Hill Memorial Gardens.

I've just left a message for the guest book. They review them for appropriate content and then post them after the review.

glr,
Sherry
Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Sherry and all Just got ba

Hi Sherry and all
Just got back home and struck by the bad news.I just signed the Guestbook.I will always remember Fred as a fine musician, always eager to help and we surely will miss him in our Forum.
Regards
Djim
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Friends, I now have a

Howdy Friends,

I now have a mailing address for Patsy Winterling (Fred's wife), if you'd like to mail her a card or such. I was able to contact a friend of the family, and she said that not only has Patsy had to deal with Fred's death, but just last week (Feb. 4) their son Mark was found dead in Baltimore. Patsy could certainly use our prayers, thoughts and good wishes right now. Her mailing address is:

Patsy Winterling
4829 Hazelwood Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21206

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 02-15-2008, 04:04 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Friends, I have a bit

Howdy Friends,

I have a bit more information now. We knew from his forum posts and personal email that Fred had been having some health issues. It seems that he was not feeling well, and his son was taking him to the doctor when Fred had a heart attack on the way there. Michael took him to the nearest emergency room, but the doctors were unable to revive him. His passing was a shock, as he had maintained that he was going to get past this slow-down regarding his health.

glr,
Sherry
Old 02-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Sherry Thanks for the addi

Hi Sherry
Thanks for the additional information about how Fred passed away.
Do you also happen to know what happened to Fred´s son ?
It´s all so sad.
Regards
Djim
Old 02-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Djim, I don't kno

Howdy Djim,

I don't know what happened to Fred's son, but if I find out anything I'll post it here.

glr,
Sherry
Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Fred Winterling has passed away

Hi friends,

I know this is a bit late, but I just received an email today from Fred's son Mike. Mike was the son who took Fred to the hospital. He said that Fred was "with it" right to the end, when he had a massive heart attack and passed away. Fred also had advanced cancer, so the heart attack, as tragic as it was, may have been somewhat of a blessing (this from Mike).

As for his son Mark Winterling, he had a brain embolism walking down the street and passed away from that.

For some good music to remember Fred by, you can search the "Share your music" section of this forum, or visit his Soundclick page for audio files.

Grace,
Sherry
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Senior User

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the update. I think of Fred often; it's pretty hard not to miss him still. I don't know all the details, but I'm not sure I'd agree that it would be a blessing for anyone "with it" and still productive to leave so suddenly. I wonder what Fred would think of the idea.

There are three of Fred's works not on SClick,on my profile page at FB, in addition to a link to his SClick page. The way FB is set up I had to explain in "comments" that the pieces were Fred's that he had not added to SClick, and that I had just recorded them in SClick's format.

Have you heard anything about his web page. I guess it has been taken down. Patsy is a good impressionist painter and Fred included a page of her works on his site. I am sure he would be happy and proud if she found a way to get the page back into circulation.

I find myself hoping Fred is in a place where every round of golf is sub-parr and every birdie celebrated by a big band.

all best,
mgj
Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Howdy MG,

Thanks for the music - if anyone would like to listen to the mp3 recordings that MG has so graciously made available (or download if you're a member at SoundClick) you can follow this link.

I remember when Fred composed the "Passing the Review Stand" he was so thrilled with the Graph Over Notes capability that he had just discovered, and used it to great effect here having the band pass by the listener who was supposed to be sitting in the review stand like it was a band competition.

I had tried to access Fred's webpage some time back but got a 404 page not found error. I mentioned this to his son Mike, but haven't heard back from him. I agree it would be really nice to have the page back up both with Fred's music and Patsy's paintings. I had at one time downloaded some of the "prints" he had posted, but unfortunately lost those with a hard drive crash that I had not properly backed up everything.

I have to say that I'm really thankful that we at least have Fred's music to remember him with, as well as for a number of friends that have gone before us.

Thanks again for making recordings of some of Fred's other pieces available. I'm listening now

Grace,
Sherry