Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Active User

Lightbulb Virtual Keyboard Integration

Yesterday, I submitted under the feature / enhancement requests thread a request for the addition of a keyboard window that was driven by the notation window. I described it there to some length.

Well, as my wife says--"once your bitten with a bug, you just don't give up, do you..." well so as to not to prove her wrong, it took on the task of somehow getting it done.

Well, a day later, after a good deal of research, searching, reading, testing, coffee and doughnuts...Success. While I did work in Information Tech in design and development for many years, the task and it's technologies were not my area of expertise, but, it became possible due to two things:

1. The robust and well engineered interfaces available within Notation Composer.

2. A lot of luck in finding off-the-shelf, and I may add FREE GNC public middle-ware and piano keyboard software.

It works beautifully, with no apparent delay. I have recorded a video of it working, but the size upload restrictions for a zip file of only 97K prevents me from uploading it.

Here's what you need:

Midi-Ox - midi utility
Midi Yoke - a midi patch cable driver
VMPK - a midi events generator and receiver with a visual keyboard

I'm not going to write-up how to configure the above, because you need to understand how those pieces work. I will tell you how to set up Composer.

Composer
=======
The hook into Composer is through its Midi Device Configuration Panel. Composer allows you to define a number of different configurations. Make one using the following:

Out - Internal Port - MS GS Wavetable Synth
Out - External Port - Midi Yoke 1

Enjoy, and have fun...

Tango.