Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM

Default Broadway 1960s Medley

This score was written 1966, the last major score I did for Concert Band and Male Chorus for the US Air Force Band. It was written for a USAF Band open-air concert at the Watergate Barge, and was actually performed two months after I had separated from the Band. For those not familiar with Washington, DC landmarks, the Watergate area existed long before the Hotel of the same name, which you would probably know as the site of the infamous Watergate Scandal. Wikipedia says, "The name of the [Watergate] complex was derived from the terraced steps west of the Lincoln Memorial that lead down to the Potomac River. The steps were originally planned as the official reception area for dignitaries arriving in Washington, D.C., via water taxi from Virginia, but they never served this function. Instead, beginning in 1935, the steps faced a floating performance stage [barge] on the Potomac River on which open-air concerts were held. Up to 12,000 people would sit on the steps and surrounding grass and listen to symphonies, military bands, and operas. The concerts on the barge ceased in 1965 (actually 1966) when jet airliner service began at National Airport, making too much noise for music programs to continue." The performance of this piece was one of the final performances. The Barge is no longer there as I'm told it was sinking and had to be removed.

I don't know whether this was unique to the USAF Band, but their instrumentation included Cello and Euphonium. I have scored that part as written, but use only the Cello as a sound. General Midi (GM) apparently does not include Euphonium. GM does not include Triangle and Gong which I had used in this score. Also, on the other Chorus scores that I've posted here I've used various instruments to represent the human voices, and have generally been unsatisfied with the end result.

For any of you who dig under the covers, you will find that the Volume and Note Velocity quite often correspond to my dynamic markings. I have found that the midi instruments, from one to the next, seem to vary greatly on “loudness”, therefore, I’ve had to make adjustments.

For this score, the Male Chorus and the Soloists are represented by the "String Section" sound. In actuality, it adds a lushness to the score that wouldn't be present with human voices.

I exported this score in midi format; imported it onto my Yamaha Clavinova; output it in WAV format; converted the WAV file to MP3 to create what you will hear at my Box site. At least on my General Midi PC, the MP3 version sounds immeasurably better than playing the score directly from Composer to the PC Sound Card.

I would like to invite you to listen to the MP3 version at:

https://www.box.com/s/4b5cce6eeb9f3d17cf12

Depending on your internet speed, it could take a while to download, but don't click on play until the download is complete, or you could experience buffering problems. I hope you enjoy listening to it.

It took me quite a long time to enter all of the score into Composer, but now I have a recording of a score that I had not heard since 1966. Several years ago, when I started using Composer, I made a commitment to myself to enter all of my old Air Force scores into Composer before writing new music. Well, I did have two transgressions along the way, but I’m now free to concentrate on writing new arrangements, as this was the last of the USAF Band scores I have.

About the Broadway songs in the Medley:

Hey, Look Me Over

"Hey, Look Me Over" was composed by Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh in 1960 for the Broadway Musical, "Wildcat", starring and partially financed by Lucille Ball. It was the only Broadway musical she was ever in. The Timpani roll at the fermata in measure 15 is for the announcer to present the piece, and would be held for as long as he needed to deliver his text. The selection features the entire Male Chorus.

People

"People" was written by Jule Styne and Bob Merrill in 1963 for the Broadway Musical, "Funny Girl", starring Barbra Streisand. This selection is for Bass or Baritone solo. The Celeste notes in measures 130 through 134 were written for Triangle, which is not included in my GM set.

Do I Hear a Waltz?

"Do I Hear a Waltz?" is from the musical of the same name, and was written in 1965 by Richard Rodgers, with lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. This selection is for the entire Male Chorus.

What Kind of Fool Am I?

"What Kind of Fool Am I?" was written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley and published in 1962. It is from the musical Stop The World - I Want To Get Off. This selection is for Tenor solo.

Hello, Dolly!

"Hello, Dolly!" is from the musical of the same name, with lyrics and music by Jerry Herman, and was written in 1964. This selection features the entire Male Chorus and a Dixieland Combo within the Band.

I hope that you will find advantage being able to look at this score, and perhaps learn some tricks to apply to your own writing.

Ralph Rayner

Broadway1960sMedley.not

Last edited by Sherry C; 08-27-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add file attacment