06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Templates not showing up in "Create new" wizard
I've had a few of these showing up at the helpdesk, and typically when that happens it means that some "global" update has probably affected even more folks. So I will be a bit pre-emptive here
In Notation Composer, there are a number of Template files that should be listed when you use the "Create new" or "File/New" wizard. The following is pasted in from our Knowledge Base, which you can find by clicking on this link.
You will need to be sure that your user name on your machine has "full control" settings for the folder
To check this, you can right-click the Windows Start button, and select Explore.
1. On the left panel, you will see the directory for your computer.
2. Find the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Notation\Templates\
3. Right-click the folder name. A menu will be displayed.
4. In the menu, select Properties. The Notation Properties dialog box will be displayed.
5. In the dialog box, click the Security table.
6. At the Security tab, for Group or User Name, select your Windows Vista or Windows 7 username.
7. Also at the Security tab, for Permissions, choose Full Control.
8. Enter OK to finish the dialog box.
If the above does not solve the problem, you can try the following alternative.
For some reason the ensemble template files that were installed with your software are no longer recognized. You can try re-installing the software to try and correct the problem, or you can manually install the template files by following the instructions below. A zip file which includes all the original template files for Notation Software programs is located at
Template files are really just .not files which are stored in the Templates folder, so that when Notation Composer opens the file, it creates a new copy of the file for you work on, and keeps the original template .not unchanged, unless you specifically save any changes as a template file.
To manually put template files into the Template folder on your computer:
1. Download the NotationSoftwareTemplates.zip file.
2. Unzip the file into the appropriate folder.
If you're using XP or an earlier operating system, you should unzip the templates into c:\Program Files\Notation\Templates\If you are unable for any reason to put the files into the above folders, you can do the following:
If you're using Vista or Win 7, you should unzip the templates into
1. Unzip NotationSoftwareTemplates.zip into any folder on your machine.
2. Run Notation Composer and use File/Open to open the template you want to use.
3. Immediately (before doing any work) use "File/Save as Template" to save it to the Template folder.
You can then continue to work with the open file, changing the key signature, etc, just as you normally would. The template that you saved will then be available in the ensemble list the next time that you use "Create new."
Music is to the soul like water is to green growing things.