View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Tim, This is fun and

Hello Tim,

This is fun and interesting to see and hear how your arrangement and notation of your light opera piece evolved. It is indeed very Gilbert & Sullivan like, charming. The GM version is a fine example of good GM orchestrating, and demonstrates that satisfying sound can be achieved with an ordinary sound card playing General MIDI.

How much work did you do on the composition before you recording the "map" on your keyboard? Did you sketch the notes on paper as crib notes for recording? Or, did you work with the composition for a fairly long time so that it was in your fingers? Or, did you use a MIDI sequencer to record lots of short portions of the composition as it evolved into a completed composition.

Many years ago I wrote a 2-piano piece by this last method. I used a MIDI sequencer to play back what I had already written, and then with a "running start" I'd punch in a few more measures, improvised in real time. There are lots of different ways of composing. I'm interested in learning how others compose to make sure that Composer accommodates different methods of composing.

Cheers
-- Mark