View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Harlem Nocturne Septet

Hi Sherry & David,

Thanks as always for the compliments. I have had a lot of fun over the early years and now again with this song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Very interesting to see your use of the shorthand slash chords and repeat symbols we've talked about elsewhere. We don't, however, have a piano track here, just the slash chord symbols, so is there some "body" missing that the piano would have added?David
There is something "missing" alright, David. I did not graduate from Berklee, but left after 2-1/2 years to join the USAF Band. Perhaps in that final 1-1/2 years I missed, there would have been some instruction on how to write piano parts, but all I was given during my time there was, "Give the piano player a road map with the chord symbols and let him wing it!" Berklee probably handles that better now. Throughout the Forum, you will find pieces where I have written rudimentary piano parts, but not many. Where you do find some, they are written more like another horn part. If I could only find time to take some piano lessons, it might get better, but I am starting to feel the pressure of time, and I want so badly to write.

Another reason for the absence of an actual written piano part is that I believe that the horn riffs I used in this arrangement were essentially what he used to play behind me in my quartet.

Ralph