View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Autumn Nocturne Septet

Hi Sherry,

Wow! What a lot to think about. This is an instance where it would be nice to pull up a comfy chair, a favorite beverage and chat about "stuff" for a couple of hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Is that a "jazz standard" notation form? I'm asking, because I see tenutos sometimes on my bass charts for the big band, but have generally understood them to be more in the way of added emphasis or "fullness" as opposed to "straight" vs. swing.
I don't remember specifically being taught to use the tenuto symbol to indicate that eighth notes should be played with even value, but so much of what we did at Berklee was swing feel, we had to have a way to say that in this case, play these eighth notes as legitimate straight eighth notes. Particularly in a piece like this where the feel flip-flops back and forth between swing and legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C
Have you tried lengthening the notes so that they overlap by a tick or two?
I have experimented a little in this area -- overlapping adjacent different pitch notes by as much as 7 ticks, but I haven't been really happy with the results. My problem is that with a horn or a keyboard, you can vary loudness and attack independently. You can have the obvious: hard attack with high volume; or soft attack with low volume. The subtlety of human musicians is that they can play a soft attack on a relatively high volume, which is the part that is missing (to me) in the computer-generated sounds. My layman's guess would be that a computer-generated sound starts immediately at the loudness/velocity you choose, whereas a horn sound would grow from nothing as the air column starts to flow to when the player reaches full intended air flow for the note. Therefore, each note at the start of a phrase grows from nothing to full. It seems the computer-generated sound starts at full, therefore making it very difficult to try to smooth out legato phrases. This first note of a phrase is not as much a problem as the notes within a phrase. I would like to reduce the velocity (hardness of the attack) without reducing the volume. Additionally, a horn player can play a legato phrase with little or no tonguing, just allowing the pad or valve to smoothly make the transition to the new pitch, i.e., minimal velocity.

Quote:
I noticed that you used Free Text to put chord names in for both the Piano and the Bass...
I am waiting for the enhancement where you can tie the Text/Chord Names to a specific staff. I am also looking forward to the ability to replace my quarter note rests with appropriately-sized slashes in the open solo or piano, bass, and guitar parts. Using the rests for spacing is contradictory and doesn't provide the capability to say "don't play for 2 beats", etc.

Quote:
...or you can choose to hide the chord names for the Trumpet part if you don't want the chord names printed on the Trumpet part.
Okay -- can I hide the chord names in the Trumpet part throughout the part except in section where there is an open solo? I would want the chord names to show in every designated measure for the piano, bass, or guitar, but I don't want chord names to be showing in the horn parts, except where an individual horn has an open solo. This is why I am using Free Text, which is nowhere near as flexible as Text/Chord Names. My wish list includes being able to combine the positive attributes of both features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
...Mark, being the notation nut that he was, would have appreciated it.
Thanks for the compliments, David and Sherry. I regret that Mark and I never really got to know each other very well. I know I was a pain to him when I first became a Notation Composer user. I am certain that Sherry played an effective shield between us in the early days. I think we had smoothed out our relationship before he passed, but we hadn't yet reached the point of bouncing ideas off of each other.

Ralph