Thread: Clarinet Sonata
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 06:21 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Thanks for the com

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the comments.

quote: Each of the songs uses different instruments, etc. I would guess I would have to use a lot of instrument sound changes? I can't put all those different voices into the staff set-up.

You can just put every instrument you'll be using into the score. Hide empty staves, if you want so you don't see them when they're not playing. I like to keep them all and scroll up or down in case I get an idea about moving some measures from one instrument to another, or doubling them.

You can't put a lot of voices into the staff setup, but you can put several voices on the staff itself and designate in the staff setup for the instrument name, something like "4 Trombones." If there are no more than two playing, say, quarter notes and two playing eighth notes, you can just use upper and lower voices. If they are all playing different time values, then you'd have to set up four staves, "1st Trombone," "2nd Trombone," etc. I guess you'd also have to use a staff for each trombone if you wanted a different pan position for each one.

Have you tried using one of the templates for band or orchestra? There are some missing that used to be there, but maybe (I hope) some of them can be copied from an earlier beta or 1.x.

As far as actual linking of songs, I sure don't have any secrets. Write a transition to the tempo, key and overall sound of the new one.

I know what you mean about all the red lines. I think what it would be like if I were trying to do this on paper...and suddenly it's a lot prettier

all best,
mgj