View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Thumbs up Re: Canyon de Chelly, Wedding Piece

Howdy MG,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgj32 View Post
The reasons I have fooled with it so much are two. First I added the violin I wished we had had. Second, though I believe I have the general tenor of the guitar accompaniment, I have had an awful time finding out for sure what the range of a guitar is, let alone that there are alternate tunings, the most frequent of which seems to have the lowest note tuned to the second E below middle C. The highest, as played, note seemed to be the B above middle C. This was several years ago, and I finally decided to use a harp. Recently, I thought I'd give the guitar another try and readily found many midi files using Composer's search feature. I went through them until I found one with E3 as the low note and F7 as the highest note, but since it was in the treble clef, the as played note would have been F6, which was not quite high enough. It was at about that point that I decided that I rather liked the harp/guitar combination, though I can't say I've ever heard them together in a situation where they function, in a way, as the same instrument.
Actually there is such an animal as a harp-guitar(!) (see John Doan's website http://www.johndoan.com/ - I've heard him play and he's the guy you want for your piece.) They can be beautiful instruments to hear, when played well, as no doubt yours is here For the range of guitars, you can use alternate tunings on a "standard" size guitar or play it on something like a requinto, which is generally tuned a fourth (or fifth - can't remember which) higher than "standard" tuning. But a harp guitar would probably meet your needs nicely

I still love this piece - thanks for sharing it's growth with us

ttfn,
Sherry