View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Tim,

Tim,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

But just to be contrary, "The Bold Navigator" on http://music.download.com/internetopera was MIDI improvisation, fiddling and cut and paste from start to finish.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>That's how I usually compose. Before I had MidiNotate Composer, I also composed by improvising. But the improvisational method of composing depends on one's having a good musical memory. Alas, my musical memory is not as good as I would like. (Actually, in general, my entire memory is rather weak. Last night my wife and I saw a glimpse of the movie 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' that we saw some years ago. My wife recalled all of the intricate details of the relationships between the characters. I would barely remember having even seen the movie.) Anyway, my poor memory, and specifically, my poor musical memory, is to your and every Composer users' advantage. It was my poor musical memory that motivated me to develop a tool that would capture my improvisations, so that I didn't have to remember what I played.

I realize that this "capture one's improvisation" method of composing is just one of many methods of composing. Composer is particularly well-suited for that method. But, I've tried to design Composer so that it suits other methods of composing also. For example, 'Sherry's Method' is an excellent method for folk who have some music keyboard skills but don't improvise fluidly.

... We've talked about this before in another thread several weeks ago...

Cheers
-- Mark