View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Reg, No, there is no

Hello Reg,

No, there is no public list of outstanding bugs to be fixed. I do have an in-house database of prioritized "tasks", which include pending bug fixes as well as new features and feature enhancements.

There might be some advantages to making the list of bugs and planned new features and enhancements public, except perhaps for the most competitively sensitive new features that are planned. However, I'm not sure that it really takes the user any less time to research whether the bug is already known than it does for the user to describe the bug.

Yes, sometimes it takes the user more than a short amount of time to write up a bug report, particularly if the user takes the effort (much appreciated by the developer) to reduce the bug to the simplest reproducable conditions. But usually, the user spends that effort only after he's given me an initial short bug report and I ask for more information.

Is there a particular software product you use, that publishes its bugs, which you have found particularly useful?

There are only a couple of software products that I have used over the years that have done a sufficiently good job at publishing known bugs that I found it useful to refer to their list. Perhaps Notation products could be one of such rarities, I suppose. It wouldn't be much more work for me to maintain my task list in a publicly viewable database. ... Well, I guess I would have to spend a lot more effort writing up the tasks so that someone besides Sherry and I could understand what I'm talking about.

Cheers
-- Mark