View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Herbert, Regarding #2

Hello Herbert,

Regarding #2, it is definitely in the plan to change File / Save As / Type = MIDI to File / Export MIDI. (It's our internal task #1394, with a very high benefit/cost ratio = 300).

Regarding #1, when you use the File / Save As / Type = MIDI command, set a check mark for "Quantize the note locations and durations as notated." You're probably already doing that. The problem happens when Composer reads back the MIDI file. What you probably want here is an option to "notate literally".

I would be reluctant to add a "notate the MIDI literally" option, because it could easily blow up. If the user opens an un-quantized MIDI file with that option, the resulting notation would be an absolute disaster of "over-notating", and Notation Composer would look like it had the worse MIDI-to-notation transcription in the market rather than the best.

If you want to understand why Notation Composer's transcription rounds up the note value, then try the following experiment: Instead of following the steps in your above example in which you manually add the notes with the mouse, record them from a keyboard. Do your absolute best to play the notes as 16th notes on the quarter note beat. Save the recording as a MIDI file. Then reopen the MIDI file in Composer. See how it has notated your performance. Then reopen that MIDI file in another notation program, and see how it notated your performance. Which notation is cleaner? Or, would you prefer the notation that shows the first 16th note as a double-dotted 32nd note, and the second 16th note as a 16-note note tied to a 64th, to perfectly transcribe your inevitably imperfect performance? ;-) That's what Notation Composer's transcription is about. That's what 99.9% of Notation Composer want. Perhaps I could add the literal transcription option, but I think it would only result many customer support requests about confusion over the messy transcription the resulted from misuse of the option.

If this is really important to you, I'd appreciate your explaining the musical scenario where this option would be important.

Cheers
-- Mark