View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, Re. the concert: we

Howdy,

Re. the concert: we did indeed have a good time We'd never done anything like that together, and none of us had played in the dark like that before I'm not sure if a captive audience is the best indicator, MG, but the ones that we could see all appeared to be having a good time, as well as all the "rhythmic glow" bracelets we saw after it was _really_ dark.

Re. the house - the original house was finished (after 3 years) in 1896. We just found out yesterday (when a lady stopped by who had lived here as a child about 70 years ago) that all the stones for the house were hauled by horse cart from the fields and quarry up near Grindstone City, about 35 miles away. They probably used some field stone from the immediately adjacent fields as the "noggin" filler.

The trim stone around the windows in the high-arches of the house (Mahala's window, and the parlor window on the opposite side of the house) are both carved limestone, and the other windows on the main part of the house are cut sandstone outlining the window frames and arches. The mason used "bluestone", which closely resembles sandstone, for the reconstructed kitchen/garage wall window and door arches. He couldn't get stone that was as big as what we have in the rest of the house for the wall proper, so you can see that the reconstructed wall looks a tad different than the rest of the house. Just part of it's history, now

The inside-the-kitchen view above shows the doorway on the north wall, which should look more like this when repaired and populated:

As you can see, we get lots of use out of that area. We had a couple of the boys' friends over for a sleepover, and we were all "helping" fix pancakes for breakfast. I really loved my kitchen before, and I have no doubts that it will be even better when all is said and done

ttfn,
Sherry