View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy guys, Let's see i

Howdy guys,

Let's see if we can clear up a couple of items here

Herbert, when you mentioned "I would prefer to have uniform graphical adjustment tools for all controllers.", what "uniform method" did you have in mind? You can graphically edit any of the controllers that Composer supports, not just the velocity. If you use the GraphOverNotes tab, you can then click the "Ctl + ?" button, and select which controller you want to graph. The different types of graphical representation are intended to reflect a visual correlation with the particular controller. If you have suggestions for improving the implementation here, we're listening

For all the "what controller does which thing?" issues, I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that GPO and JABB don't adhere to MIDI controller naming conventions. For instance, there are some controllers in the MIDI convention (such as for portamento parameters) that are different in GPO (it uses different controller numbers than the 5 and 65 of MIDI convention). Or, there are some parameters in GPO that are more complex, such as the vibrato, which uses two different controllers cc17 and cc131 to control vibrato speed as well as amount, respectively, where MIDI uses only one controller for a fixed vibrato effect.

MIDI conventions were intended as a standard, a common reference. I think this is where we're leaving our comfort zone, because as Clyde has pointed out elsewhere, any sound library is going to have it's special little quirks, because the developers are usually trying to accomplish certain things with their particular library.

So, for example, while MIDI has some "named" controllers for particular effects (such as 68 legator) GPO generally uses "unnamed" controllers to accomplish these effects. Thus, if you use the MIDI "conventional legato 68", it won't affect a GPO instrument performance in a "legato" fashion, because that's not the controller they use for that effect. I'm not sure why they do this (Mark probably knows, or can guess better than I can), but that's the way it works.

What Composer tries to do is to make all this controller stuff easier to work with, by having the graph of any controller visible right over the notation, so you know how much of what type of effect (portamento, vibrato, etc.) is happening over which notes. So, you can use Composer to graph controller 24 to set the reverb for some instruments (brightness for others) in GPO, even though in the MIDI controller list it's just listed as "MIDI controller 24".

From what Clyde has said elsewhere, organs can be lots of fun this way, too

ttfn,
Sherry