View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Chord Builder to score

Hi Susanne,

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanne View Post
I think that most who use chord names would prefer to hear the chords play. In fact these are notes that ARE in the score, only abreviated.
That's actually why many folks who use the software for composing do not want those extra "chord name" notes to sound when they play back the score - they only want to hear the abbreviated ones they've entered as they're reviewing how their composition sounds Extra notes might mask the sound they're looking for.

I know that it's very easy for me to assume that other people use the software exactly as I do (and my own usages are fairly varied - from simple melody notes/chord names Fake Sheets to backing tracks to big band arrangements). However, I also work the helpdesk for Notation Software (where we get a lot of questions and suggestions) as well as help design the software. We listen to feedback from lots of customers here in the forum, via the helpdesk, and via direct email. I continue to be amazed at the variety of ways that people use the software - many that I never would have thought of myself. That's the biggest reason that I ask a lot of questions when folks make a good suggestion (like yours and TerryL's) for new features. We want to make sure that we serve all our musicians in the best possible way with new features or changes to existing ones

Quote:
Anyway, a toggle would not hurt. Put it into the Perform menu, into the Select play-along sound, or into the Staff options - wherever you like ;-)
Actually we often end up putting a number of commands in many different locations because the command is associated with different aspects of the score or different musicians think about them in different ways (eg. Page Text is in Text and Layout). Thanks for your suggestions for a few different places where you might think to look for such a "play the notes for the chord names" feature!

I've now added such a new feature to our "to do" list for a future release.

Thanks!
Sherry