Thread: Scan support
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Thomas Spillman (tom_spillman)

Default Mark, There is an interesti

Mark,

There is an interesting interface problem. The scans require editing to get them ready to create a MIDI file. They will not allow a file to be saved if the beat count for a measure doesn't add up properly. Luckily, for me, they will allow you to add notes, rests, and the like to a measure with continual checks for accuracy (bars with incorrect counts have red on top and bottom so they can be spotted quickly). They will NOT change a notes value, but will indicate that the count is incorrect. In many cases the count mught be off by two br=eats and you plan to add two quarter notes -- comoser often will not allow that situation (I have had them change the quarter note to a half not when I enter it). I recognize that this may be because I have not found the proper answer to avoid such problems! However, until I fined the "proper" way, I like this approach, as I mentioned several months ago.

However, today I entered the Danse Bacchanale by Saint-Saens. It has some intriguing changes in meter from place to place, e.g., 4/4, followed by one bar at 2/4, then 3 at 3/4 and then back to 4/4. I cleaned all of these up in the editor and then created the MIDI file. I have no idea whose ideas of a proper MIDI file are correct, but I had to go back and correct a number of errors in composer when I opened the MIDI file in Composer. Some meters and nots were changed by composer. I figured out a method which works for me when Composer throws off the rythym by changing a meter or inserting a note. I found if composer adds a note, that I can change the meter to, perhaps, 1/4, modify the wrong note (or delete it by deleting the measure!) and then change the meter back correctly.

I still have saved a BUNCH of time even though I have to clean up the files twice.

This is just an FYI, since I have found a couple of work-arounds.

Who knows, maybe Sherry has some better ideas?

Regards...

Tom