View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Pushing the PDF envelope

Hi, guys:

What I'm trying to do admittedly pushes the envelope for PDF export further than you may have envisioned.

I am assembling the orchestrated score for a show. In order to have a legible conductor's score, I have had to go big: 11X17 (tabloid) pages. A bit cumbersome for the conductor, but a lot of show scores come in that size.

I love the quality of the PDF export included in the new Composer 3.0.2. I found a work-around for the lack of export options with Composer's PDF print driver by exporting the Vocal and Piano/Vocal scores, one file at a time, then re-assembling them by printing each file to the freeware PrimoPDF driver and using the "Append" option to build the scores into complete books. This was with 8.5 X 11 (letter) size pages.

Now, with the Conductor's score, I've got a problem.

Exporting the large pages to PDF from Composer's Export options, I am only getting one or two pages exported at a time. Usually. Every once in a while, the complete piece exports, but I cannot find any rhyme or reason for it.

After Exporting and getting one or two pages only, I can then advance the Page View to the next un-exported page and get another file with the same number of exported pages. And so on through the complete piece. I could then assemble each of those files into a complete piece and then assemble the whole score, but that's a huge pain and I'm sitting on the place where the pain is.

The problem is obviously related to the large page size, but I can't think how. The output that I do get is very high quality, much better than printing straight to PrimoPDF or Bullzip, so I want to use the Export if I can.

Attached are a .not file of a piece that is only exporting a page at a time (No 3 Sunny Day.not) and an example of the truncated PDF export (No 3 Sunny Day.pdf).

Note that, to see the Page View displayed properly in the .not file, you have to set your printer's page (in Print Setup) to Tabloid or 11 X 17 size. Otherwise, it's all garbled.

David
Attached Files
File Type: not No 3 Sunny Day.not (306.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf No 3 Sunny Day.pdf (59.5 KB, 3 views)