View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Multi-voice Problems

Hi Ralph,

The good news is that you can do what you want, but yes, you do have to kind of hold your mouth right

I'm including the file you posted, but with what I think is the notation you're after inserted at measure 2.

VoicingTuplets.png

To do this, you have to click on the Voice button that you want when you add the note.

This is especially important for the cases where you have (1) the upper voice and the lower voice starting on the same note pitch, but with different durations (eg. the middle C where uv is a quarter note and the lv is a half note) and (2) tuplets. The first case is simply because Composer, because it is a hybrid sequencer/notation program, stays within the confines of MIDI, and thus to have the same note on the same pitch, it needs different voicings for different durations. You could add one of the middle C notes, change it's voice, and then add the second one, but that second one will have to have a different voice than the first one when you add that second note in order for it to display (and sound) correctly with the different duration.

The second case of the tuplets where you can't click on a note and change it's voice is a bug, and I've reported that. However, the good news here is that you can work around the bug by entering the tuplet notes initially with the two different voicings.

In the example here, when I went to add the uv notes, I clicked Quarter Note and Triplet and Upper voice buttons in the tool palette, then added the notes for the upper voice in the triplet. Then, I clicked Quarter Note and Triplet and Lower voice buttons, and added the notes for the lower voice within the triplet.

Task2421.not

Hope this helps!
Sherry

cross ref task 2421