View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Still cannot get sound

Hi, gatley:

Okay, narrowing it down, now.

The green light won't normally come on when you play your keyboard. It lights when output is sent to the output port (the input and output are separate). If both the input and the output devices are the same, then the green and red lights should both come on when playing your keyboard. If you click "Test Playback", you should hear notes (and see the green light) briefly (Composer displays a test notation page during this).

The Notation Software Synth you see in the box is the built-in, default output device -- I suspect the tutorial was made before version 3, when the device was introduced. The drop-down box that shows the device name should also list any other midi devices that are installed on your system. Give it a click and see what else shows up.

If your keyboard doesn't show up in the "output" drop-down box and the red light doesn't show when you play the keyboard, then Composer isn't finding the device.

Go to Setup/MIDI/configuration (below the Quick Setup line) and choose Port/Select Ports. That will give you a dual list of all of the ports (input and output) that Composer has detected. Have a look at it and see whether your device is listed but unchecked. If so, check the boxes, exit the configuration dialogue, go BACK to Setup/Midi Devices Quick Setup and see whether your port appears in the drop-down list and/or whether you get the red light when you play on the keyboard. If that works, you're all set: select your keyboard's port as the default output device, as internal software synths necessarily have a "lag" between playing and sounding that might be confusing.

If at this point, it still isn't working, you can go back to Setup/MIDI/configuration and select New from the Config menu. That should let you set up a whole new configuration.

I guess that's enough for one try. Let me know what happens, please.

David