View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello M.G., Your explanatio

Hello M.G.,

Your explanation about what the 6/4 meter is used throughout the piece makes sense to me. 6/4 is a common denominator between 3/4 and 2/4, which are alternatively used through the piece, like shifting gears going up and down hills in a car; and in other places "there is a less frequent primary accent", which gives the piece a feeling of fluidity, consistent with the "homeless" harmony of the whole scale and subsequent augmented 4th chords.

Regarding your last comment, I didn't intend to imply that the piece is not done, unless you mean that the annotations are done. I can empathize with that; more times than not I never get around to adding any annotations except the most important ones. Heck, I know what my piece is supposed to sound like, and nobody else is ever going to play it, so why bother? :-) (I don't really believe that; I added dynamic marks, accents marks, and such fairly early in the development of Composer.)

I've tried to imagine the personality of your two cats. I hate to admit it, but I'm a cat person also. In fact, I used to have a "Developer's Blog" at this web site, and I talked about my cat a lot. Nobody was interested. I can't blame them.

Let me guess at the personality of your cats, based on your musical descriptions of them; and you tell me whether I'm close or not. These are fairly mature cats, but not really old. Maybe 5 to 7 years old. Their personalities are fairly similar; they're a pair; I didn't hear a conflict of personalities between the two cats. They are somewhat aloof-- not the kind of cats where you say, "here kitty, kitty" and they come up running to be petted. Nevertheless, they are friendly (and, of course, especially friendly to you; cats aren't dumb; they know who feeds them). Even in middle age, they have a certain amount of playfulness, but restrained, somewhat dignified, in contrast to the playfulness of kittens, or an adult cat that has had too much catnip. How close was I? If I'm wrong, please shoot me instead of thinking you need to rewrite the piece to better describe the cats. Usually, I listen to music abstractly, so I don't have a lot of practice listening for stories or portraits. 'Kitten on the Keys' is an exception.

Cheers
-- Mark