View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, This is a fun p

Howdy Mark,

This is a fun piece (as was the Prokofiev one, albeit in a different way ;) ).

I like the way you interweave various rhythmic figures for some of the ascending passages. I also noticed that you don't use any controllers or graphing capabilities to get variations in dynamic - they're all done with just the "loudness" of the notes, and the way your rhythmic figures work together to achieve a crescendo feel. That's a great way to use simple tools to get a rich effect.

Would it be possible to acquire your GPO version? The only thing that I can think of for this piece (and this is probably because I play bass ) is that it seems to lack a bit of bottom end. I do see that you have one set of brass in the bass end of things, but their relative loudness (as judged by ear and the "note loudness" graphic) is not as loud as the rest of the instruments. It may just be the setup that I'm using to listen to it, and that perhaps if I use the GPO setup, that may be more present. Even just a sort of sustained very low fundamental note might be enough to broaden it out a bit. But that's also just personal taste, coming from someone who plays bass at church every week You may have been shooting more for the stratosphere and beyond effect ;) Well achieved!

Thanks for sharing this with us!
Sherry