Thread: Jazz Ballad
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi MG, Thanks! I'm glad y

Hi MG,
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

quote: I still don't know how you did it, entirely. You've done a lot of work with the pedal and must have spent hours working on note velocity, attack and release.

You're right about the editing hours. I can put a song down in minutes and then spend weeks trying to make it right. I play as much as I can on the keyboard, which establishes the velocities, attacks and releases at least close to what I want to hear. Then when I add other instruments, I use a lot of those attack and release locations with the "as performed" control in piano roll to put the new notes added in the same location. For instance, if you are adding a bass line, you need to make sure to place the attack at the same location as the bass note of the piano or the drum ( or other instrument ) so that the meter is perfect. Sometimes, I might copy the entire left hand of the piano and paste it into the bass staff, then delete the 100 notes I don't want just to get the meter right, then change the notes where necessary and drop them down an octave (maybe)

quote: I still can't figure out how you got vibrato from the GM muted trumpet. Did you edit the preset in Vienna or something? Nice going, anyhow. Ditto on the pitch bends, with which I've still had nothing but disaster.

The vibrato conrol (mod wheel) is much easier to contend with than the pitch bends. You just have to feel where the vibrato would start if you were playing it and then how much vibrato to use in that instance. It's pretty easy. I used to spend an hour on one pitch bend, but then I would copy it and use it wherever it came up again in the piece. I have a file with dozens of pitch bends but when I need a different one, I just spend another hour on that one.

quote: Why does "it was 3:00 a.m. and the police chased us" ring such a bell?

Because you were probably the guy sitting on the opposite hill playing the flute and laughing your --- off!

P.S. The trumpet is the GM preset as is. The "life" comes from selecting that insrument on the keyboard for that part. You'll notice the velocities are all over the place which is the case in 'real time' playing.

Cheers,
Fred