View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: 2x (2nd Time) Only in Repeats

Hi Ralph,

Entering such MIDI performance tricks is indeed a bit tricky The key here is (1) where you enter the volume change and (2) the order you do the volume settings because they are entered as "events' in the hidden MIDI event list.

To get the effect you're after, you'll need to have the volume 79 kick in somewhere before the end of the "Note on" event in measure 16 (you did this in the first snippet you shared in this thread, so it worked perfectly). In the snippet you have here, the volume change occurs after the note-off (end of the note) event. In messing around with your file this seemed to be a necessary condition.

You'll also want to make sure that the initial Vol 1 event happens before the beginning of measure 2, so that it doesn't negate the volume event at the end of the passage.

Each beat gets 480 "ticks". When I did the following, I was able to get the effect that you are after:

1. Click the Staff Select button for Trumpet 1 and set the volume to 79 using the "96" button in GraphOverNotes.
  2. Select a region for Trumpet 1 of Measure 1 beat 4 tick 470 through measure 16 beat 4 tick 477.
  3. In GraphOverNotes/Volume, set the volume to 1 using the "96" button.
  4. Lather, rinse, repeat for the other choir staves, or if you want the same volume settings just copy/paste the graph to the other staves.

Now, though, is a puzzlement to me that the notes in measure 16 for the choir staves don't sound even though the other prior notes do. That we will have to investigate....

ttfn,
Sherry