View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Default Re: When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again

I thought I'd add a little background color to this thread. I am particularly pleased with the way Sections K through the start of Section M (measures 160-183) came out. The germ of the idea for this interlude came to me on the morning of a travel day. We had a 70-mile trip for a mid-day Doctor's appointment, to be followed with a visit to Cynthia's parents. So, I had no time to write down any of my thoughts, and I was very concerned that by the time I could write it down that the memory would have faded. My memory's not the best anymore. After pleasantries were exchanged with Cynthia's folks and the conversation had settled down, I was able to excuse myself for a short period of time and get my Laptop out and capture the basic idea, while breathing a sign of relief that the germ hadn't evaporated.

I think of this part as my "Hoorah Chorus", reminiscent of the lyrics I remember from childhood -- "When Johnny comes marching home again, Hoorah! Hoorah!" The trombones start the transition from G Minor to D Minor with a paraphrasing of the main theme. The paraphrasing motif continues with the trumpets as all the brass join in the shout ("...the men will cheer, and the boys will shout...") and the saxes add their Hoorah! Hoorah! Hoorah! Hoorah! -- jubulation! All in all, a fun piece of music to put together.

Ralph Rayner