View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Alex,

Hello Alex,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Tell me, please, is there any possibillity to neutralize this feature somehow? 'Cause it's very annoying when a software - ITSELF! - changing notes I've wrote.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>You can force a note to keep a certain enharmonic spelling by manually adding the accidental to it. For example, if you want a C# to be a C# instead of a Db, then add the note on the staff line or staff space for C, and then hit the "#" key to add a sharp to it. The sharp will forever "stick" to the note.

If you change the pitch of a note by selecting it and then hitting the NumPad + or - key (or P+Up/DownArrow), then Composer makes a good guess about what the enharmonic spelling should be, depending on the surrounding harmony. If you later add more notes, that might change the surrounding harmony so that Composer will recalculate the enharmonic spelling of the previous entered now. This is usually a good thing, because it will save you time spelling the notes. However, if Composer ends up changing the spelling of a note (for example, between C# and Db) against your preference, you're no worse off that if Composer made the wrong guess about the spelling of the note in the first place. In this case, you can change the enharmonic spelling of the note by hitting E+UpArrow or E+DownArrow, and that enharmonic spelling will "stick".

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

The software MNC changes spelling by some different way AGAINST THE HUMAN WILL. And this is horrible! <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Alex, I can work harder to improve Composer's guesses at spelling accidentals, taking into to as much information as Composer can collect about the surrounding harmony. But, I'm sorry: if Composer makes a choice that is different than your HUMAN WILL, Composer has no way of reading your mind. Technology is still a few years away from reading brain waves.

Cheers
-- Mark