View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Soundcard for Win7 64 bit: need to record internal audio (eg. "what you hear")

Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the recommendation. I had avoided doing anything like a physical cable previously because of digital-to-audio-to-digital conversion degradation of signal. I did try doing line out/line in on the Audigy alone out of curiosity, and ended up with some nasty crackling.

However, since you do it successfully, and I know you create soundtracks for various reasons, your suggestion sparked another idea to try: run a physical cable from the "Line out" of the Audigy card to the "Line in" of the onboard Realtek High Definition chipset. The Realtek does not have the capability to record anything like a "What you hear" or "Stereo mix" or anything like that, but it can use the Line In for recording. I figured I had nothing to lose at this point by trying it out

Result: I'm pretty impressed so far - no big testing yet - with this setup, though I'm sure it's not as good as if I had the true internal recording. It's a lot cleaner than I anticipated it would be. So, for now it's a cheap ($6 for the cable) solution for my current needs. I can deal with that

Thanks!
Sherry