View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Alek Yasko (kombrig)

Default How do you do, Sherry! How wa

How do you do, Sherry!
How was you Christmas?

Sherry wrote:
--------------
Can you please give us a step-by-step description of a case where you're setting the enharmonic spelling and Composer is changing it?
--------------

Easy! If you writing a drum line down, each note has 3 different spelling: #, b, and natural. Some particular instruments of the drum section BELONGS to EACH sign.
For example, you put # to note, but MNC change it to b and move the note DOWN to the lower line. But this line is occupied already by another note! And there is an absolutely different instrument are playing. In proceed, notes just messing with each other!
So, you have to get back and change MANUALLY a spelling of the previous note. It takes time, you know...

However, there is no bugs! This is such a feature. Mark made himself totally clear!

------------------
...just visit www.soundclick.com and set up a New Band Account. They will pretty much walk you through the process, and they do have a "Help" button for either getting FAQ answers...
------------------

Thank you so much, Sherry! I certainly will do so and will let you know what's going on.

How you doing, Mark!
Nice to knowing you, sir!
Thanks a lot for complete and comprehensible explanation!

You wrote:
-------------------------
You can force a note to keep a certain enharmonic spelling by manually adding the accidental to it.

I'm doing so as long as I have MNC software, Mark.

If you change the pitch of a note by selecting it and then hitting the NumPad + or - key (or P+Up/DownArrow), then Composer makes a good guess about what the enharmonic spelling should be, depending on the surrounding harmony. If you later add more notes, that might change the surrounding harmony so that Composer will recalculate the enharmonic spelling of the previous entered now.

Sherry gave me this hint about a week ago and I use only this way since then. But I'm not completely happy about it, because even this shortcut is continue stealing my time. Let me explain...

You shouldn't change a thing into the ENHARMONIC SPELLING, Mark. This is great and helpful feature for an AMATEURES, who doesn't know much about the spelling!

But let to PROFESSIONALS a CHANCE to decide, which sign will stand for a certain note! Maybe in the next upgrade you'll make a SWITCH to turn it ON and OFF? Think about it... I would surely appreciate that, Mark!

But, I'm sorry: if Composer makes a choice that is different than your HUMAN WILL, Composer has no way of reading your mind. Technology is still a few years away from reading brain waves.

Ha-ha-ha... That's the good one!
It made me hysterically laughing.

Could you tell me, Mark, how did you make a beautiful quotation of text in your message?

Happy new year, guys!
Kombrig.