View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Kombrig Ah yes, the BAYA

Hi Kombrig

Ah yes, the BAYAN, an advanced member of the accordion family. I have read that there are a number of variations of the bayan. Perhaps you could tell us more.

You are quite right, electronically enhanced music and computer based music have taken over, particularly in popular music. W A Mozart, if born this century, would have first started to program his computer in C+ at the age of five, before going into serious composition.

I have tried to download your music as you have recommended. I had no success. I do not speak Russian and could not understand the instructions on the pages.

It is quite a list of music, you have supplied. I like your Russian music in particular. There is nowadays quite an interest in ethnic music. I think there would be a market for authentic Russian music outside Russia.

Blues and Swing is definitely played in 4/4 time. However there is no reason why there can’t be exceptions. Your 6/8 NY sounds really good and is superior to the 4/4 version of NY, in your swing section. There is another way of looking at the 6/8 versus 4/4 argument. You can combine two consecutive bars of the 6/8 version into one bar for the whole of the song, rearrange it to 4/4 by using triplets etc and reassigning note values in time. You end up with similar music with half the number of bars but in the time measure of 4/4. The music is likely to have a stronger rhythmic feeling about it. I have tried in the past, but have not been able, to do this type on conversion with Composer, except for rewriting the music completely.

Composer provides the facility of displaying the “as performed” timing of notes superimposed over the notation. In your scores, the “as performed” timing is identical with the “as notated timing” of notes. This is what my scores are like, as I do not record an instrument via midi directly into Composer. It would be interesting for me if you could post scores of your playing, recorded with Composer and with the original timing of your playing preserved.

Best wishes,

Herbert