View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 09:07 PM

Default Re: 2x (2nd Time) Only in Repeats

It is said that one of the primary definitions of stupidity is repeating an act and expecting different results.

Well, the attached snippet is not exactly a repeat, but it is a very similar attempt at a special effect...and, well, I was expecting/hoping for different results.

The snippet essentially is a repeated 16-measure segment, with the two tenors playing through in unison the first time through. The trombones faithfully start playing after beat 4 in the 1st ending.

So, the score looks right for this scenario, and it plays right -- up until the final note in measure 15 (D4) for the trombones. The D4 sounds short to my ears -- not a duration of 280 ticks like the tenors. At that point, the trombones go on break and don't play the last four notes in measure 16.

I have used the tricks discussed in this thread, with the trombones set to Volume = 79 for the first 3 beats of measure 1, dropping to Volume = 1 on beat 4/0 and extending through measure 17, beat 3/479, resetting to Volume= 79 on beat 4/0.

As with other examples in this thread, the midi version plays it right, and the trombones continue to slave away 'til the bitter end, i.e., no taking a break in measure 16 (I must have too much time on my hands).

Says the King, "'Tis a puzzlement!"

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Goin' Easy Snippet.not (36.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: mid Goin' Easy Snippet.mid (5.2 KB, 3 views)