Thread: Funky Stuff
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Fred, It sounds like

Howdy Fred,

It sounds like you do some things similarly to me in regard to the "stuff in a box". I sometimes get a nifty little riff or something going through my head, and I'll record it for later use. I've got some folders like that, too

For the revision, I like the vibe solo! It's pretty nice with the bass walking around it and sort of weaving in and out. Maybe you could even have them go back and forth a little more deliberately, and perhaps mix up the slap bass with some fingered bass. Usually for walking lines they're fingered - but not always - see Marcus Miller or Victor Wooten . The syncopated slap sections, though, are really nice. Overall, you've really got the feel of a good mix between funk and jazz bass, with a touch of the syncopation of a good latin bajo in there Your eclecticism is showing.

In measure 95, though, as a slap line, the lower notes in that progression would probably come before the higher ones - in other words, in slap style, the thumb usually slaps first (which is the lower note), and then the fingers pop the higher notes. But the sound of your line is cool, and in the world of MIDI, anything's possible, right? ;)

I'm really enjoying the whole vibe of this piece - it's just fun Thanks for sharing this with us, and it's fun to see how you're progressing with it.

ttfn,
Sherry