View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Yamaha KX 49 & Composer problem

Hi MG,

Your Audigy sound card has the Synth A and Synth B already on it - there's no need for the Maple MIDI for that. The Maple "cable" should go to SynthFont, which should give you a total of 48(!) instruments available - 16 on each Synth. (One limitation you may run into is the amount of memory that you have on the machine. I recall that when I was using my SB Audigy card, I had to designate a certain amount of memory per Synth (it also had 2), and that if I didn't have enough, it wouldn't function properly. )

After you have the ports set up as I illustrated in the picture, it should be just a matter of when you use the Staff Setup button for any of your staves, you select (1) the Device and (2) the Instrument patch you want to use for the staff.

When you use the Instrument Patch list to select which instrument you want to use, bear in mind that the default list is for the General MIDI (GM) set of instruments. Therefore if the soundfonts that you have loaded on Synth A and Synth B are different than a GM set of instruments, you may want to edit the list to reflect the specific instruments that are on the Synth A and Synth B for each specific instrument patch number. Likewise with the font(s) that you have in SynthFont. You can do this in Composer by doing the following in Setup/MIDI Devices Configuration (the big one):

PatchMapEditing.png

Then back up the configuration! You don't want to lose all that typing

I guess it's time to do some serious research into how to get an .ins (instrument definition file) from a soundfont That would make it much easier as you could just import the .ins into the MIDI device description, rather than type the names into the patch map. Does anyone reading this know of a utility that will create a .ins file from a soundfont?

ttfn,
Sherry