View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, I am getting frequ

Hi Mark,

I am getting frequent crashes in 2.41. Although I think the addresses aren't the same, they remind me of those in one of the versions of 2.3--2.3.2 it was, perhaps.

I can't give you a sequence of actions to create a reproduction, because the crash happens as I am doing various things. Fortunately, those things have been limited, and I can tell you pretty quickly what all of them were.

I am re-writing two solo violin parts in a file of about 3.5MB. 95% of it involves moving already existing notes up or down, by selecting them and using mostly Keypad plus and minus; very occasionally Shift Keypad plus or minus; in frequently changing note velocity; frequently using the scroll bar to look at the winds, then down to the strings, then back to the solo violins; infrequently shortening or lengthening a note with D Arrow; infrequently entering a new note, using the mouse; occasionally using Ctrl Z; playback of a few measures frequently, selecting a note and using Shift Space.

When Composer is re-started, after a crash, clicking Save As, navigating from \Songs to the sub sub directory where the file is located works as normal. However, the next time Save As is clicked, the directory is again \Songs, rather than the sub sub directory, as would be normal.

I started editing these staves in 2.33 and continued it in 2.4. In neither of those was there a crash. (Never a crash, at all, in either of those versions.)

That's about all I can tell you. Even though the value of auto-save has been amply demonstrated again, I really can get much done with all the crashes, so I would like to revert, temporarily, to 2.4. Since the update to 2.4 was done via the Web, I guess I would have to download the full version of 2.4. That would be no problem, but if there's an easier way, I am lazy enough to use it.

all best,
mgj