View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Smile Re: Two problems while testing

Howdy,

Thanks for trying out Notation Composer! I'm glad that for the most part Composer has initially met your needs. I think we can clear up the other issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crochetty View Post
There are a few glitches but I am giving Notation the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that some (at least) are due to the variable quality of midi files - for example, misnaming instruments or even putting the composers name and details down in the spaces reserved for instrument names.
When any Notation product opens a MIDI file, it will show any staff names (which are track names in the original MIDI file) that were assigned when the file was created. Some folks use the MIDI instrument name, some folks enter the credits in the track/staff names, and others just enter numbers. You can easily and quickly rename all those staves to anything you want by using Staff/Setup, then clicking in the Staff Name or Staff Abbreviation field and typing in the name(s) you want to use.

Quote:
There are two more problems, the first being irritating but I will tolerate it if I must: This is an odd tendency to show a key signature at the beginning of each stave in the usual way but then follow it with "natural" symbols followed by the necessary sharps or flats all the way through the piece as a way of reinstating the original key signature. Can this be rectified - or avoided when making sheet music from midis?
This issue will depend partly on the file. For instance, jazz pieces especially tend to have a lot of accidentals anyway, to the point that it can be difficult for Composer (or even some of us humans ) to properly determine the key signature. Another case that sometimes happens is that there may be a key change within the piece that Composer doesn't "catch", and you'll see a similar situation. In any case you can double-click the signature to change it. If you'd like to post the .mid file you started with, I'd be glad to take a look at it. Please just be sure to point me to the specific measure(s) you're wondering about.

Quote:
The most serious problem is a real disappointment: Why does composer throw randon notes into the bar in which I am working on an existing arrangement - and even into the next (empty) bar. And why, when I select all the right buttons to start a new bar with a dotted minim, does it it insist on inserting an undotted minim followed by two semiquavers - plus an additional note that I didn't want (not even the same pitch) and all linked by slurs which have to be deleted before the notes can be corrected. Then, when I am correcting those notes it starts inserting random notes into the next bar?
Which method are you using to enter notes? (eg. mouse point and click, Step Time Recording, Real Time Recording) Each method is different, and may have a different solution to the problem you're seeing. If you can give me some specific steps that show the problem, I'll be better able to help with the solution. If it's an existing file that you're working with, please include that in an attachment.

ttfn,
Sherry