Thread: Rock amp Roll
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi MG, Yeah, the band was sup

Hi MG,
Yeah, the band was superb. We were far and away the best band in Baltimore. The old crowd still remembers after all those years. We had 4 singers, two of which were lead singers from other bands that joined us. We commanded a good price because we played the best clubs and packed them every nite. We were a six night band. All of the musicians were classically trained and accomplished jazz musicians. The first band was just sax, guitar, bass, drums and 1 lead singer. By 1960, the band was hot enough to add the trumpet and trombone players. They went to Vegas when the band broke up around 1978, and still live and play there today. I see my old guitar player often. Whenever I am back in Baltimore, we play golf together. In those days, most of the musicians in the bands around town were all excellent musicians. They still have a “Battle of the Saxes” night every year and there are dozens who still compete with each other. Sam Butara comes to town every year for that occasion. He was the sax player for Louis Prima and Keely Smith. Their band was called “The Witnesses”. I don’t even go anymore because it hurts too bad not to be able to be part of it. One of the old bands from that era are still together and play a Sunday afternoon jam session at one of the old clubs. They still draw the old crowd. I sold my saxophone to one of those guys ten years ago. It was a King Super 20 with a sterling silver bell. What a great sounding horn! At least the horn is still playing.

BTW, I have the Roland Super Tenor sound font but can't use it with Composer. Since my computer blew up and I got a new one, for some reason, Synthfont and Audacity no longer work properly on it. I've downloaded both programs half a dozen times each and they no longer work . Synthfont just won't accept the GM Wavetable Synth any more. Some of the drum notes sound like doorbells, and the sound is terrible. Wish I could figure that out!
Cheers,
Fred