View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Herbert It's clea

Hello Herbert

It's clear that what you want is a "horizontal scroll view". There have been a few requests for this in the past. Some other notation programs over the year have offered this option.

Sibelius takes a different approach. Sibelius has only Page View. It doesn't have a Window View as in MidiNotate. And it doesn't have a horizontal scroll view. Instead, Sibelius has a sort of aerial view window that always sits on top of the score. In the aerial view, you drag the mouse to move across pages of the score, as though you were skating across pages laid side by side on the ground. The aerial view is good in that you can see where you're going with the mouse drag; but the aerial view is poor, in my opinion, because it's always on top of the score, in the way of what you want to see and edit.

Here are all of the ways I know about for viewing measures across pages:
  1. Page View, which is the only kind of view in many notation programs. Note, Print Preview in other software (music or not) is a read-only version of Page View; you can't edit anything in Print Preview.
  2. Window View, where the page size is the window size, which can be dynamically resized. It's like Microsoft Word's "Normal View" (as opposed to Word's Print View) in which as much text as possible fits onto the screen, while you're editing the text. Very view notation programs offer Window View. I personally work usually in Window View.
  3. Horizontal View, where the page size is essentially very, very wide, but only one measure high.
  4. Z-Order Measure Scrolling: Imagine two lines of music on the screen, the first line being the top horizontal line of a drawn character "Z", and the second line being the bottom horizontal line of the "Z". As you scroll through the scroll, measures bump off or onto the two ends of the "Z".
  5. Aerial View, which is a secondary window showing a zoom-out view of the score and lets you drag the mouse to scroll through the score.
MidiNotate already offers #1 and #2. Nobody has ever asked me to borrow Sibelius's #5. I think MidiNotate should offer a third scrolling option-- #3 or #4-- I'm not sure which. I'll start another thread on just this topic.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

What I am missing in Composer is the ability to run several instances of Composer and several instances of the editing screen.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Composer does let you view multiple scores at a time, within a single instance of Composer. You can use options in the Window menu to arrange the multiple scores to fit within Composer's overall window. You can copy/paste between the multiple scores.

Cheers
-- Mark