View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Sherry, The advice you offe

Sherry,

The advice you offer above should ensure that there is no conflict between MidiNotate Player and other MidiNotate programs in the area of MIDI device setup.

I will try some more to reproduce the MIDI device conflict here so that I can then fix it.

The "association" (Windows terminology) of an application such as MidiNotate Player or Composer with the ".mid" file extension is a different matter. When you install MidiNotate Player, it will not be associated with .mid files unless you ask so during the setup, or if you later use the Associate command in Player's Setup menu.

MidiNotate's .mid file association behavior is currently being improved. During setup, if you ask MidiNotate (Player, Musician, Composer, or Composer Pro) to be associated with .mid files, the setup program will save the previously associated MIDI program, whether that might be another MidiNotate program, or some program by another company. Later, when you uninstall MidiNotate, the previously associated MIDI program will be re-associated with .mid files.

This same enhancement is being made for the Associate command in MidiNotate's Setup menu. When you associate MidiNotate with .mid files, the previously associated MIDI program will be saved; and when you un-associated MidiNotate with .mid files, the previously associated MIDI program will be restored.

This improvement has a flaw in that the previously associated MIDI program might have in the mean time been uninstalled on the user's system. That case is much more rare, however, than the case where the previously associated MIDI program is still on the user's system and thus makes sense to be re-associated.

I'm not aware of other programs doing this for .mid files and other types of files, but I have often wish they would. At least MidiNotate will now (in the next release).

Cheers
-- Mark