View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Clyde,

Hello Clyde,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I find that the current version of Player (v 1.0.9.8) that the lyrics do not highlight during playback.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>The problem is that MidiNotate does not highlight lyrics (nor notes) if the track is muted.

In the Piano part of B65_Jesus-came..., the piano track is muted. The notes and lyrics are therefore not highlighted during playback.

In Player, if you choose the Band part instead of Piano part, you'll see that the lyrics are highlighted.

This has been the design in MidiNotate, probably for years, that muted tracks do not highlight notes and lyrics during playback. Under most circumstances, this makes sense. However, I understand why you want the lyrics highlighted during playback (and perhaps would also want notes highlighted) for the muted piano track.

I could add an extra option that enables or disables highlighting of notes and lyrics independently of whether the track is muted. But I'm reluctant to do that. It seems like that would add unnecessary complication to the user interface of Composer to accommodate what seems like a rare case to me.

Instead, I recommend the following technique, and probably should include this advice in the Users Guide: Turn off the muting of the piano RH and LH tracks. Then set the track channel volume to zero throughout the entire track. Thus, the tracks are muted, in effect, but MidiNotate is tricked into believing that the tracks are really playing and so will highlight the notes and lyrics.

Do you think this technique (or work-around, depending on one's perspective) is acceptable?

Cheers
--Mark