View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello M.G.,

Hello M.G.,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Do you think I should just use add/remove to un-install and disable anti-virus to install the update? Or do the clean sweep of Audigy, also, and install both with all services disabled?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>No harm will be done by trying these things (other than perhaps wasting time), and it might help.

It's important to narrow down the circumstances as precisely as possible as to when a problem happens and when it doesn't. For example, can you say with confidence, "This problem happens only when I'm using sound fonts, and never when I'm not using sound fonts"? If so, that is a very important piece of information. I believe you already briefly answered this question as "yes" when I originally asked it.

If the problem really is isolated to sound font usage on your Audigy card, then the problem is to further isolate the problem within the context of using sound fonts with your Audigy sound card. How well one can further isolate a problem depends on one knowledge in the area. Good places to further isolate a problem are ones that are easy to test and seem to have some promise of providing using information depending on the results of the test.

A first test that comes to mind is whether MidiNotate itself might be the culprit. Save your work as a MIDI file. Download a trial version of some other MIDI software. Assign the tracks to the same sound font device and instruments. See if the same problem shows up in that other software. I hope it does, so MidiNotate won't be the blame; but we should know whether this problem is isolated also to MidiNotate and not just any MIDI software.

Another test that comes to mind is to explore where your system doesn't have enough memory to hold the sound fonts. Sherry has already touched on this. There are some different tests you can do. Try loading such one _small_ sound font and playing just it. Does the problem still happen? If not, this suggests that maybe memory is an issue. Use the Windows Task Manager to monitor memory utilitization on your computer. If it's max'ed out while you're playing sound fonts, that's really likely the problem, which you can solve by installing more memory on your PC. A complimentary memory test here is to run other apps that use a lot of memory, to see whether that increases the problem.

You might be unfortunate and find that you cannot further isolate the problem. If you can, though, you'll have a lot better chance of solving the problem.

Cheers
-- Mark