View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Sherry, quote: I just t

Hi Sherry,

quote:
I just tried creating a file that used both GPO instruments as well as some soundfonts, saved the file, then reopened it in the same session. The Staff/Setup showed that the devices, banks and instruments were just as I had saved them. So I'm unable to reproduce your observation with the following steps:

1. Open an existing file (three instruments) and click Staff/Setup.
2. In the Staff Setup dialog, use the drop list to set the Device for the first staff to "GPO 1", and channel 1.
3. Set the Device for the other two staves to "SB Audigy 2 synth A", channel 2, 001 grand piano.
4. Click "Ok."
5. Use "File/Save as" to save the file with a different name than the original.
6. Close the song.
7. Reopen the song file and check Staff/Setup to check the Devices, channels, and instrument assignments. They're just as I saved them.

How do your steps differ from mine so as to produce the "non-saved settings" file?

1. I did not try to save the file with a different name. I just tried to save it as a midi file with the same name.
2. My sound card is Realteck AC 97 Audio ( synth is MS GW Wavetable )

When trying to record the file using GPO, it will not record the general midi staves, only the GPO instruments.
When pressing the record button in Audacity and Sound Recorder ( to record what it hears) it tells me it can not record that type of file (or words to that effect) as long as GPO Studio is open. If the Studio is not open, you don't hear the GPO instruments at all.

As a side note, Windows Sound Recorder is a top notch wave recorder. It will only record 60 seconds however, unless you "trick" it into recording longer. I created a 10 minute wave file in Audacity (copying a smaller file and pasting it at the end a few times to make it 10 minutes long) then open the file in Sound Recorder and you can record up to 10 minutes ( or 10 hours if you want to copy and paste that many times...of course the file would be 8000 MB long instead of 80 MB).

I am going to try saving a file using a different name as you suggested above. Assuming that that works, would you then be able to hear the GPO instrument sound without having to open GPO STudio? Also, does it matter if the file is saved as midi or .not file?

Thanks again!
Fred