View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 04:46 PM
John Smith (johnsmi)

Default Thanks for your reply/help.

Thanks for your reply/help.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

So, do I understand correctly that if you have the .gpo or .studio file, that you can double click that file and get the GPO Studio to come up, fully loaded, and then play the file from Composer? Or the converse situation, that you start Studio, then start to load an instrument sound, and the computer starts searching and can't find anything?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

The template files have suffix .gpo on this settup.
There is no problem getting GPO to work with MNC.
The problem is purely regarding GPO templates.
If I create a GPO template myself (start GPO studio etc and load the sounds) - then save the result as a .GPO file, then no problems. I can reload that file later and use it as a template for new or existing work.

However, if I try to load a .GPO template from the Garritan distribution files drive:\progFiles\garritan\studio\template (think that's correct path), then the problem starts. I can see the pulldown list of templates in Garritan (the distn ones that is), but, when I click to select one (any one of them), garritan fails to find any .wav files it needs to load up the player. It then offers me a chance to search the entire disc for the samples! If (being optimistic) I say Yes, it starts at C:. As there are several partitions this literally could take hours to do - and that search is per-sample-note I think!

I have GPO, and am using the version 2.0 Studio on my computer. I have 2 hard drives, and I have both the GPO library as well as the GPO Studio installed on the same hard drive (c: ), so I've not had the problem that you've experienced.
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Ah I see. In your case then I think it is ok because GPO starts with C: anyway. AFAIK there is no option I can set to tell GPO where it's own sample files are! Also the path shown in the wiindow is read-only so I cannot edit it to change the path. It could well be that the GPO has not been installed correctly I don't know, however as I have no control over that and didn't do the installation myself.

I could put together my own .gpo files but that seems a lot of work as they already exist.

Last night I found this on the GPO forum...
• INSTALL GPO ON THE DEFAULT DRIVE - Sometimes issues arise where it is being installed. To be safe it is recommended that GPO be installed on the default location which is usually the boot drive. IT may be easiest to do an "Easy Install" or install all listed components.

There is no way I could install like that on my system due to the sizing of various partition - plus I don't generally like major applications living on the boot drive anyway.

Another thought occurs to me, in that you may need to be sure you'vegot the GPO Studio running _before_ you start Composer. This isn't an issue for me on my computer since my initial setup, but not knowing what the setup is there, it may be an issue in your scenario<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I'm sure the start order is correct thanks.

Anyway, I think it's a very reasonable request that if someone createsa song file that they intend to use with GPO that they include the .gpo (v 1.x) or .studio (v 2.0) file to go with it.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Yes maybe that could do asked for somehow from contributors? I don't know how - the board admin person could post something to this effect maybe? I find people tend to change the templates quite a bit anyway and it would be nice to be able to just down load an MNC piece and hear it straight away.

I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't be able to use GPO
distributed templates with Composer - I thought that part worked?
Where am I confused?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Probably my less that clear initial post - I hope I've explained it a bit better here.

btw the MNC tutorial on the GPO site is excellent.

Thanks again,
-John Smith