View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Smile Re: Getting better sounds inexpensively

Hi Mike,

Quote:
while i have you what is the difference between using a midi and a .not file?
MIDI (.mid) is the performance data for the song. It gives the note pitches, durations, and instruments (along with some other "tweaks") for the performance of a song. You can read more about it if you're interested at our "What is MIDI?" page.

NoteSoft(.not) files are the file format that Notation Software uses to include all the .mid data, as well as any annotations (eg. titles, free text, etc.) that you've put on the sheet music, as well as repeat markings, their performance, and other such "sheet-music-specific" aspects of the file.

Quote:
And xml is a whole other format as well?
Yes - MusicXML is the "in the works" file format that is intended to enable folks who use various software programs to be able to share all the scoring and performance aspects of their respective scores with each other without everyone having to own lots of different software packages (or all the same one ).

Quote:
My latest challenge is getting the repeats into the midis i don't print 5 pages for a part. I assume i'll find that soon. Just cut and insert repeat bars somehow? I have not seen any repeats in any of the midis i've downloaded.
MIDI files don't have repeat barlines - that is one of the shortcomings of the MIDI file format. To have a MIDI repeat a verse, it has to have all those notes again in the file. If you're using Notation Composer to import a .mid file and want to cut out the extra notes and have repeat barlines instead, you'll need to:
  1. Identify the regions (spans of measures) that is the repeated sequence.
  2. Edit the first barline of the first region to be a "begin repeat" barline (just click or click-swipe it to select it, then choose the "begin repeat" barline from the palette)
  3. Edit the last barline of the first region to be an "end repeat" barline (same process)
  4. Select the extra repeated bars in the file, and use "Measure/ Delete" to remove them from the file.
  5. If you need to, you can edit the repetitions in Perform/Edit Repetitions table to get the file to perform as you want it to.
You can read more about the steps involved in Help/Users Guide and use the Index to look up "barlines", "measures" and "playback", and the various subtopics for those.

There are also some Tutorial Videos at this other thread which you might find helpful.

Enjoy
Sherry