View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 06:17 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Adrian, I downloaded thi

Hi Adrian,

I downloaded this back in mid April and have listened a number of times, which of course means there are things I particularly like about it. One is that it remains melodic. Before I ever wrote a note I established a rule for myself: Melody first. (Or something equivalent, like the dramatic energy in some Chopin etudes.) I am struck by the clarity of the overall sound; it's clean. I mean one hears strings, or brass, or winds; or strings an brass or strings and winds. There is never a muddiness to it, more Sibelius than Tchaikovsky. I guess the word would be definition--all sounds are clearly defined.

Mediafire produces a pretty fast download. I'm about to put my violin concerto up on Zshare, which allows a gigabyte for each upload with free registration and two gigs for $30 per year. It's drawback is that the site can't be searched; the composer has to distribute the URL. It's advantage is for those with slow connections because the music can listened to on the site, or at least it was that way when I had my first piano concerto there.

I hope the symphony gets a lot of attention.

all best,
mgj