View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Dr Peter Kalve

Default Mark, for goodness' sake g

Mark, for goodness' sake get the piece written out fully - it has some really good ideas in it - I am impressed by the bridge sections you have employed, and, yes the Prok influence is there in the rhythmic vitality as well as in the harmony. I particularly like your cadences which could be by P himself. Around 2 mins 58 secs to the 3 mins 20 bit, I like the piece even more - not sure about the glissando - not really need at that point. 3' 57" onwards is very good, and the movement to different keys is nice. 4' 30" is confusing, musically, perhaps more needs to be done in a development section there.

Did think that 5' to 5' 10" had lost it's way, but then the last few bars made more sense again. think about how it ended - would P have finished it quite like that? I think a more formal cadence (NOT a V-I, by any means, but something slightly more unusual) would do the trick. Nice and interesting. One suggestion - have a more clearly defined second subject in the middle of the piece - too much similarity can become just a little boring, and you clearly have the ability to create an interesting middle section. Well done though!

(Apologies - I wrote the above as I was listening to the piece - hope some of it makes sense)

----Peter