View Single Post
Old 07-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy M G, My apologies for

Howdy M G,

My apologies for a delayed response here - I went to the doctor for what I thought to be an inocuous office visit, and ended up in the hospital with major abdominal surgery - hysterectomy plus removal of a multi-legged fibroid the size of a large orange. This too has passed I'm now in recovery mode, so don't expect too much from me in the near future....

I'd be thrilled to hear you work my short melody into something more substantial That would be an honor for me.

Perhaps we should start a new thread elsewhere for that piece, or you can put it in the same thread as the original "Communion Aire" is posted. That might make better organizational sense.

Thanks for the tip about the flute in the first octave - it's quite the same for whistle, so that should be easy enough to remember. The dynamics of an instrument is part of the articulation for that particular instrument, imho, and therefore I should take it into consideration when rendering a convincing performance.

And yes, I'm referring to tin whistle! They are tremendous fun, and fairly easy to learn to play, though it can take years to master it. The fingering is much easier (again imho) than recorder, and since they're diatonic, you can't really make it sound too bad. They are also quite inexpensive as instruments go - you can get good sounding cheap ones for $3-10, and of course you can get them more expensively depending on material, type (cylindrical/conical), etc. I have a fairly decent arsenal of whistles (in various keys) that cost about the same as my five-string electric bass.

ttfn,
Sherry