View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Everyone, A new MidiN

Hello Everyone,

A new MidiNotate Composer feature has been cooking here: a way to fairly easily convert a metronomeless MIDI file or recording into a readable score with barlines at the main beats and appropriate rhythms. I'm not ready to share details about how this feature works. My current plan is to include the feature in MidiNotate Composer Pro, but not Composer, as it is an advanced feature that only a fraction of Composer users will want, and which other users would regard as just more complexity in the product.

Attached is my so-called AmericanProkofieff improvisation that has been converted from metronomeless to a readable score. The conversion does a far from perfect job, but I'm nevertheless pleased with the results. In about one hour's time, I was able to do the major conversion of the metronomeless recording to a score where the barlines and rhythms were approximately in place. Then I spent another hour or more, cleaning up the rhythms in the first 58 measures. Therefore, I estimate that it will take a total of about 6 hours, from beginning to end, to convert the metronomeless recording to a fairly clean score, rhythmically.

Six hours might seem like a lot of time to convert a 5-mintute(?) metronomeless recording to a fairly readable score. And that time doesn't count more time I'll need to spend fixing up lots of mistakenly played notes. Nevertheless, this is like a dream come true for me. I have wanted to be able quickly transcribe my recordings to scores since I started programming more than 30 years ago. It would have been absolutely impossible for me to have done this in the past, when I tried to record to tape, and play back the recording, and try to write down the notes. I don't have that rare talent and skill.

My plan with this particular AmericanProkofieff piece is to:
  • Clean up the rhythms in the remaining measures, after measure 58.
  • Fix incorrectly played notes.
  • Fix spellings of accidentals.
  • Then, start to mold this improvisation into a composition.
It's all a lot of fun. I'll have to back off on this effort for a while, though, so that I can get the MidiNotate Musician and Composer version 1.1 releases out fairly soon, and then MidiNotate Composer Pro.

Here is the second release of the AmericanProkofieff piece, which I'll eventually give a better name:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>AmericanProkofieffVersion2.not
AmericanProkofieffVersion2.not (476.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>

I have changed very little of the performance. So, if you liked or didn't like the piece when you heard it before, you'll probably have the same preference for it. However, even if you don't like the somewhat contemporary (well, early 1900's) neo-classical style of the piece, you might find it a lot easier to follow now, because the improved rhythm notation will make a lot more sense.

Cheers
-- Mark