View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello MGJ, Thanks for the f

Hello MGJ,

Thanks for the feedback on this piece. I'm not familiar with the music of Khachaturian; so I should check that out.

I've wondered whether this material might lend itself to the orchestra, but I hadn't thought of a piano concerto. Your suggestion is a good one, I think.

Other than some short MIDI orchestrations, I've never arranged for orchestra. Although most of my compositions are for piano, the texture of my compositions lies halfway between pianistic and orchestral. This particular piece is at the same time both more pianistic and more orchestral than most of my compositions, with a thicker texture. So, it might lend itself well to a piano concerto.

I have recently implemented a facility in Composer to convert metronomeless recordings into meter'ed scores, without loss of any of the original performance timings. I already have converted this AmericanProkofieff piece from metronomeless to reasonably accurate rhythms. I'll post the results in a few days. The score for this piece is a whole easier to follow with approximately correct rhythms.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how this piece might be orchestrated as a concerto. For example, at the very start, would you begin with orchestra only, as is typical for most concertos? How would you arrange the different instruments?

Do you compose yourself? If so, is there a place on the 'net where we can hear what you've done? Or, please consider posting your MIDI or .not files here in this Share Your Music section of the forum.

Cheers
-- Mark