View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:53 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, We'll never know

Hi Mark,
We'll never know if I would have thought "Hey, echoes of Prokofiev" if I hadn't read your comment before listening. I can think of some others that might have jumped to mind in places--Ravel, Poulenc, even Khachaturian. But I did think of Prokofiev, especially, for some reason the 3rd piano concerto, on first hearing it a couple of days ago. I also thought that there was material for a movement of a piano concerto here.

I obviously liked it, or I wouldn't have played it again, as I just did. I also read the rest of the posts, with which I generally agree--particularly regarding the long time until 110 arrives. But this time as I listened, the back of my mind was at work and hearing that concerto movement--the third or first. The basic idea in the first measures, quasi martial, is followed by a lot of developmental material which wouldn't have to all appear in sequence. The idea starting at measure 110, kind of a variation on the original idea, but with lyric possibilities, might be introduced earlier and returned to several times. I can even hear it ending the piece, after the buildup that starts around measure -- forgot now -- returning maestoso.

Well, anyhow, 1) I like it and 2) I think it would make a good piece for piano and orchestra.

all best,
mgj