View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Richard Clements (atonal)

Default Mark, Thanks for pointing me

Mark,
Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I enjoyed listening to your improvisation/composition. It did indeed point me toward Prokofieff, but only a very small part of Prokofieff ( his Classical symphony ). Actually, I made another association while listening, and that was turn-of-the-century French theater music ! ( maybe it's just me, could be, ... i'm often hanging out there by myself anyway )

If you are indeed using the Prokofieff model, one would expect the harmonic cadences to be a bit more pristine, .. more traditionally tonal chord structures without the added seconds and forths within the basic triads. This trick of Prokofieff's made the harmonic phrase cadence really noticable.

I think some more structured rhythmic germ motive changes ( or variations ) might add interest, while at the same time give structure to the piece. The rhythmic gesture changes at bar 110, and another at bar 128 added interest and helped to move the composition along. Having to wait until then seemed to me a bit long before introducing rhythmic interest.

Harmonically and tonaly it is quite interesting. Rhythmically, I feel a little more variety or variation might add more sparkle, and hold interest.

( when do you find time for this, ... you're supposed to be working 18 hours a day on the next version of Composer, and any spare time you have should be spent in helping the family with their house chores ).

Thanks again for the opportunity to listen and comment. I enjoyed it !

-- richard clements