View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 04:28 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Sherry, Ok, I'll add

Hi Sherry,

Ok, I'll add my annotations to the score. I might do that after I add the metronomeless support-- which I shouldn't be spending time on before the version 1.1 release, but I might do just for my own fun, if I can do it in 10 hours or so.

I must confess that I was also surprised when I saw tempo changes in the tempo graph. This might have happened when I was experimenting with the "Identify Beats" feature in Mark of the Unicorn's FreeStyle, which didn't work for me. Perhaps I accidentally resaved the MIDI file after FreeStyle had changed the tempo map. The performance timing is still the same, though. The unsteady rhythm was my performance, not the fault of FreeStyle or Composer.

Yes, Robert Ward was the chancellor of the North Carolina School of Arts for many years, where I studied for a couple of years as a lark, while I was starting my career in programming. He used to call me "Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde", to suggest my schizophrenic life, half amongst free-spirted artists at the School of Arts, and the other half as a software "engineer" (from his perspective) writing Wake Forest University's first registration system. He didn't realize that musicians and programmers are pretty much alike.

I really enjoyed working with Dr. Ward. He was practical, down-to-earth, real, and honest about music. He's still writing operas. A composer student friend, Ernest Ferreri, who studied with Dr. Ward at the same time I did, still is Dr. Ward's copyist, using Finale. Ernie writes some pretty cool music in various styles, such as neo-Romantic and funk.

Cheers
-- Mark